Press Ltd (at the Red Lion address), they specialised in reproducing Autochromes on paper. In 1877 the firm was advertising the Scenograph camera, later it advertised the Woodbury photometer and lantern equipment. Later, William Spicer (b.1831) was at the same address, in 1881 he is described as a cabinet maker employing 2 men. Patents taken out in the 1890s are in the name of F. A James Fox Shew was elected a member of the RPS in 1883, presumably this is the Fox Shew born in 1854. The firm produced the Southport Enlarging Table sold by Sanders & Crowhurst and J. Lewis Hiram Spicer was at 6 Garnault Place, Spafields, London from around 1853 listed as a cabinet maker and Daguerreotype manufacturer.
The BJA 1922 shows an illustration of the Bedford St. The firm was registered with capital of £120,000 in April 1900. Their design for the use of studs to attach the front standard (BP 2811/1886) has also appeared on a camera by Sands & Hunter, possibly supplied by Stanley. vacates his premises in Wardour Street and moves to his home address in Camberwell, the Wardour street shop is then run by J. In 1915 Shew merged with Staley, this seems to have lasted to only 1919, from then until 1922 the J. James Fludger Shew (b.1810, d.1873) advertised in the Photographic News of 1858 as a supplier of photographic products at 30 Oxford St. Listed as camera makers after 1854, previously dealers and opticians, they were the agent for Grubb lenses in the early 1860s. The nature of the company changes rapidly in the mid 1880s when Shew embark on large scale manufacture of cameras. from 1920), when they were at 21 Bartlett's Buildings, the nature of the business is not known. For a short while, late 1890s to the mid 1900s, Smedley advertised an extremely large range of products including cameras and studio furniture. By 1906 the firm was owned by Joseph Ignatius Smith and was having financial difficulties. Competition Commission Report on proposed takeover of De La Rue. Both Brooks and Watson probably left the firm around 1904. Kershaw & Sons (1947), Pullin (1964), Hilger & Watts (1968) and Aldis. GB Equipment was also listed in the 1940s, this may have been established by Rank or a subsidiary of Gaumont British. At one time they list themselves as makers of models, electrical instruments and optical toys. The Early Photography in Leeds catalogue traces the firm to 1854 when they were trading as Thomas Harvey & Richard Reynolds 1854 - 1860, Harvey, Reynolds & Fowler 1860 - 1864, Harvey, Reynolds & Co. In 1917 Ross took over the assets of Carl Zeiss (London) Ltd. The name of the firm is confusing, Rajar Ltd was registered as early as 1901, Rajar (1907) was registered in 1907 and Rajar Ltd registered again in 1919. The companies were organised into British Optical and Precision Engineers Ltd. Established in 1896 when Henry Joseph Redding (b.1858 Dublin) and E. As well as the Luzo Redding made tailboard cameras and a folding roll-film camera similar to the Sanderson finished in polished mahogany. The London offices were moved to the old Zeiss building in Gt. The firm sold flat film for the changing system as well as ordinary cut-film and roll-film known as Cleron. Robinson & Sons Ltd was registered in Dublin operating from 65 Grafton St. L'E, Great Age of the Microscope, the Collection of the Royal Microscopical Society, p. See 'The Correspondence of William Henry Fox Talbot' (ac.uk) for letters from Andrew Ross to Talbot. The Rotary Photographic Co., founded in 1898 with capital of £30,000, was a subsidiary of Neue Photographische Gesellschaft (NPG) founded by A. The firm specialised in rapid printing of photographs for brochures, calendars, postcards etc. Burfield & Rouch advertised in the 1858 Photographic News. Rouch (b.1835 at St Agnes, Cornwall, d.1898) was the patentee of the Eureka camera. 15/5/1992 lot 301, 26/6/1986 lot 413, sliding box cameras. 3/5/1984 lot 184, Cosmorama stereo viewer signed Burfield & Rouch (Regd Sep 15 1854).
Film and paper production proved more successful than the changing system which was abandoned around 1907. In 1921 Rajar became part of Apm and then Ilford, paper production continued at the Mobberley site into the Ilford era. The London and Dublin businesses may not have been connected by this time. It went into voluntary liquidation in 1916 and was put up for auction as an enemy firm in July 1917, although not sold at the auction it was acquired by the Rotary Photographic Co. William Albert Rouch (b.1862, d.1947), nephew of Samuel W, ran the company from 1898, he was a photographer specialising in sports photography.
at 1 Montague Street and from around 1936 in Chalfont. The original partners of the firm were Edward Sanger-Shepherd, William Saville Kent (? A note in the London Gazette for 1879 states that the Sciopticon Company, owned by Walter Bentley Woodbury, is now out of business. Portland Street address, used until this time, is the same as that used by the Woodbury printing company. Following Sharp's death the firm continued trading until 1907. The change of name to Shepherd & Co occurred early in 1859 if advertisements can be trusted. A note in the LPOD for 1864 states that Squire are the sole manufacturers of Shepherd lenses, Shepherd is no longer listed by that time. They are known from the early 1880s until 1898 when they merged with the London Photographic Supply Co.
Sanger-Shepherd FRPS (d.1927) was a prominent photographer of the time specialising in colour processes, he regularly exhibited at the RPS (elected a member in 1887), an advertisement mentions an RPS medal awarded in 1896. In 1882 the Sciopticon camera was listed, by this time the manger is shown as George Smith, the patentee of the camera. Nov/1903) had previously worked for Newton & Co in Liverpool. continues in business from a different address (Wardour St.) and the J. Spicer Brothers, later called Blackfriars Photographic Supply Co., were wholesale stationers and suppliers of sensitised albumen paper, for a short time around 1890 they advertised cameras.
In the 1900s he was living in Wiltshire Rd Brixton. 148, report of the new factory that is being built.
After leaving Adams he spent some time at Ross managing the Cockspur St. He was a member of the Liverpool Amateur Photographic Association, elected a member of the RPS in 1892, and a prominent user of the bromoil process. William Barker Mason owned or was connected with Taylor & Co., chemists, later to become Taylor's Drug Co. After 1915 the company is listed at 1 Southampton Row but was probably dormant by then.
Around 1937 they became part of Modern Products (L. The BJA of 1927 gives an illustration of the building. Sinclair (b.1864 Salisbury, d.1940) was previously manager of the West End branch of Adams & Co (he was with Adams at least as early as 1893). In the 1910-11 edition of the Penrose Annual they advertise themselves as commercial and technical photographers.